Re: Qwerty and Dvorak touch-typing.

Norman,

No, I don't know how many words per minute I typically churn out. I was
originally attracted to the Dvorak keyboard because the thing seemed to make
so much sense. I do type faster -- much faster -- on Dvorak than I ever did
on Qwerty. However, I think the greatest benefit is the ease with which I
type. My hands and wrists are much more relaxed with the Dvorak system.

As for the history (all of this is from memory), it is well documented that
some fellow by the name of Christopher Shoals (I think he worked for
Remmington) was asked to design a keyboard that would slow typists down.
There jamming were problems with the early typewriters. Hence
Qwerty--inefficiency by desgin.

It is my recolletion that August Dvorak was at the University of Washington
(Seattle). During the thirties he and a psychologist (whose name escapes)
me worked together in a study of typists. I believe that the study went on
for about five years; sometime in the late thirties their results were
published, and the Dvorak keyboard was born. During the forties there was
some effort to get secretaries to convert. But they would have none of it.
Qwerty had become so entrenced that few were willing to change.

Again, this is all from memory. If anyone is interested I can get more
information on Dvorak's book. (I actually read the thing when I was in
graduate school in the eighties.) And, as mentioned in an earlier post,
there was a computer book published around '85 that was devoted to the
Dvorak keyboard.

There is really little to lose if you want to give Dvorak a try. It takes
about there minutes to convert your keyboard in windows or OS/2 (a little
longer in DOS). It's a good idea to have a drawing of the Dvorak layout at
first. But you will be amazed at how quickly one can learn this thing.

There are also replacement keytops available and decal sets that one can put
on one's own keyboard. I've found this unnecessary, though.  (I think I
have an extra set of keytronic keytops if anyone is really serious about
this. They're yours for the asking.)

Good luck.

Phil Ferreira