Re: Running XY-Write under DOS vs. Windows.

Michael Edwards writes:

> Does anyone have any opinions about whether XY-Write should be run on pure
> DOS, or do they find it quite satisfactory with Windows?

In general, it has worked pretty well for me in Windows 95 and 98 by creating
a desktop shortcut that "shells out" to full-screen DOS (I've tweaked a few
properties to make it work better, but won't go into that here). Speed is
greatly reduced and memory conflicts more likely if it's run in a smaller
window.

As more older but functional computers are discarded and become cheaply
available, I think it's a good idea to dedicate one to running these older
DOS programs. Since ASCII is universal, you can transfer XyWrite files
anywhere on floppy disk and even merge them into a desktop publishing program
(like Quark Xpress or Pagemaker) for elaborate formatting as needed.

I have a 486-66 that still runs 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups, a very
functional and stable system for XyWrite and lots of other things (with a
14.4 modem, it's also more than adequate as a fax machine).

Jeff