Re: choices

Flash wrote:
the man on the Clapham bus simply feels revulsion for certain acts and condemns them. Period. No choice involved.
He doesn't "simply" feel revulsion: he feels revulsion because of the moral
ideas he has accepted and automatized. An infant has no such reaction. Why
not? Because it hasn't acquired enough information, concepts, and
conclusions, especially evaluative conclusions. Many, many choices are
involved in reaching ideas about what is right and what is wrong--the
fundamental one being the choice to think rationally about it or just go
with what Mommy and Daddy tell you. Then there is the continually available
choice to re-examine one's moral premises or not.
And BTW, how would the nativist account for the people who change their
moral ideas (maybe by reading a certain novelist) and consequently begin to
feel differently about things (admiration toward things that before
"simply" felt revolting).
As for whether I actually endorse the position of the man on the Clapham bus, I'm prepared to discuss my promotional fee with you off list.

Okay, but bear in mind that we're in a deflation.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx