Xywrite as a dtp interface (Folio magazine)

 Grubbing about in the Lexis/nexis database for their
thousands of references to Xywrite looking for new items,
I find a reference to the decreasing use of it as a DTP use.

------
         Folio: the Magazine for Magazine Management
                October 1, 1998

SECTION: Pg. 55; ISSN: 0046-4333

LENGTH: 3227 words  [ much deleted from this posting. dsay/ ]

HEADLINE: DOING MORE BUT SPENDING LESS.

BYLINE: Dzilna, Dzintars

BODY:
  FOLIO:'S 1998 Desktop Publishing Survey

  The transition to CTP is a big trend this year, but publishers are also
handling more prepress in-house and working more directly with their printers,
all while they spend less on production.

  Publishers have spent a lot on the desktop publishing revolution in this
decade to ensure reliable color production for all participants: art department,
editors, service bureau and printer. This year, though, magazines seem to be
taking a breather. FOLIO:'S eighth annual desktop publishing trends survey shows
that magazines have slowed their investments in equipment purchases for their
production departments, even as those departments are doing more with the pages
they create.

  And all the while, new output technologies are creating a whirlwind of
change. Publishers and printers alike are gearing up for computer-to-plate
workflows, and a growing number of publishers are doing more of the traditional
prepress-related functions in-house.

  In 1996 and 1997, publishers spent handily on production, but now, according
to our survey, they've pulled on the reins. Publishers budgeted an average of $
155,234 this year for equipment (hardware and software, new technologies and
upgrades), compared to $ 207,810 last year and $ 244,600 in 1996.

  "Prior to 1996, we didn't have [a single] computer in this department that
was geared up to do our production and page layouts," recalls Anthony Romano,
senior vice president of manufacturing and distribution for New York City-based
Hachette Filipacchi Magazines. "This was true not only for the [centralized]
manufacturing department, but in a lot of our magazines. Nineteen ninety-six was
probably the high point for most magazines--consumer magazines in this company
and in many other companies--to really make the investment in the hardware and
software necessary to bring us into the modern age of desktop publishing."

  Word processing software used by editors.

  More editors are writing in Microsoft Word, moving away from WordPerfect and
other programs. In 1997, 62.3 percent of writers used Word and 21.1 percent used
WordPerfect.

  Other/NA   5.9%

  XyWrite   5.9%

  QuarkXPress 6.7%