Re: Dosemu, Linux, XyWrite -- another clipboard kludge

>From: Paul Lagasse
>I don't use XyWrite for my mail, but generally I'd be interested in
>any suggestions you have. I'm still basically working in XP and playing in
>Linux.

Hi Paul,

I've been thinking about your use of xsel and how it might be combined with Xywrite commands to cut
text out of Xywrite and into Linux, using only the keyboard. I haven't actually set this up, but
thought I'd throw out this idea for others to contemplate. Note that these commands are for Xy 3.55.
I am not as familiar with Xy 4, and am unsure if the commands are the same there.

1. Xywrite 3.55 has a command, SAVEDEF, which can save any defined text into a file, like so:

SAVEDEF c:clip.txt

assuming C: is where clip.txt normally resides.

2. Put the following in your keyboard.kbd file, like so:

=BC,S,A,V,E,D,E,F, ,c,:,c,l,i,p,.,t,x,t,XC,CH

By hitting this keystroke after making a selection in Xywrite, the selection would then be saved to
clip.txt.

3. From here, you could set up a Linux script, assigned to a shortcut key, to use xsel to put
clip.txt into the system clipboard. Or you could create a macro with Xmacro to select the text of
clip.txt and copy it into the clipboard. Either method should work.

In fact, if done right in Xmacros I am pretty sure the macro would only require one keystroke to
both copy clip.txt into the clipboard and then paste it wherever you want it.

Just an idea.

Bob
4708 Montgomery Place
Beltsville, Maryland 20705