Re: Dosemu, Linux, XyWrite -- another clipboard kludge

Bob wrote:
1. Xywrite 3.55 has a command, SAVEDEF, which can save any defined text into a file, like so:

SAVEDEF c:clip.txt

assuming C: is where clip.txt normally resides

2. Put the following in your keyboard.kbd file, like so:

=BC,S,A,V,E,D,E,F, ,c,:,c,l,i,p,.,t,x,t,XC,CH

By hitting this keystroke after making a selection in Xywrite, the selection would then be saved to clip.txt.

Yes, except I'm using S,A,S (SAveSel, same as SAveDef, which is also available in Xy4).

3. From here, you could set up a Linux script, assigned to a shortcut key, to use xsel to put clip.txt into the system clipboard. Or you could create a macro with Xmacro to select the text of clip.txt and copy it into the clipboard. Either method should work.

Yes, I've modified my scripts and setup. Now I have frxy and toxy as transfer files (replacing clip.txt and both in the ~/clip folder, which cleans up the mess I was making of my home directory).  I've also played with modifying the scripts, so I do two things at once, move the highlighted selection to toxy and move frxy to the X (Linux) clipboard. I've not fully tested it out, thanks to some frustrating experience with Xmacro, but if I understand what I'm doing (not a given) it should work.

A second script works (should work) to append additional clips to toxy and frxy.

The end result is I click on one icon to send a clip to and from XyWrite, and one icon to do the same thing but append it to the previous transfer. Because I use separate files and because X's selection facility has three parts (primary [currently highlighted text], secondary [?], and clipboard [selection previously copied to clipboard]) I can move text in two directions at once. Not fully tested, as I said.

I don't have the flexibilty to assign keys to invoke a launcher, as far as I can tell (it's not an obvious option in the desktop keyboard mapping utility). At least not in the Gnome desktop (Ubuntu); I have also installed the KDE desktop (Kubuntu) and can boot into that as an option; don't yet know if I can do what you're doing if I use the KDE desktop.

In fact, if done right in Xmacros I am pretty sure the macro would only require one keystroke to both copy clip.txt into the clipboard and then paste it wherever you want it.

At this rate I'll never know. I spent an extended lunch hour fooling with Xmacro. And what I've learned is this: if I type the command to run doscopy.macro in a terminal window and hit enter, it runs perfectly (albeit slowly, since I slowed it down to make sure it was working). The same command line, assigned to a launcher and run as an application in a terminal (and invoking the exact same macro, with the delays still in there) doesn't work. As best I can tell it never copies what it should and may not make it to desktop 4. I can see the terminal launch and close, but not much seems to happen. Thanks to all that fooling, though, I've developed a better understanding of the macros and how to edit them to shorten the macro file; just can't make use of the result.

So I'm back to refining my xsel scripts, probably this evening.

Paul

Paul Lagasse
PO Box 144
Kemblesville, PA 19347
pglagasse@xxxxxxxx

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg
Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie