7 vs 8.1

But Kari - - how complex a system do you run? For example, I have a
modern Dell laptop running Win 7 which is dedicated only to my my work
with Fontlab and to music playing. For music I use either Foobar
2000 or a browser, usually chrome, for youtube. At the moment, I have
found that there is a video of Artur Rubenstein 78 reissues which
invariably takes over the system after about an hour. No other program
will be available, no keystroke will work including ctr-alt-del. The
video will play on and on but the rest of the computer is not
functioning. The only way to stop it is to cut the power. I think we can
safely say that this is a perfect example of Flash causing an OS crash.
Instances of Flash crashing Win 7 seem common; but they don't seem to
happen in Win 8.1. My impression is that they really did do a lot of work
to minimize or eliminate problems of this kind.

By the way, these crashes had occurred after I removed the two drivers I spoke of recently, for accessing EXT and Mac-formatted discs.

Browsers are the problem !! And Chrome is probably the most stable, but that isn't good enough.

Another problem with laptops is that you can't change the video card. I am therefore in this case stuck with NVidia, a company whose video drivers have longed seemed to have stability problems. Yet here again, Win 8 seems to be able to deal with them better.

Win 8.1 also is the first Windows OS that for me will reliably wake up from sleep, time after time. It will even seem to self-correct. For example, this morning I woke the system from sleep and faced a blank screen which, after a minute, nothing would change. So I pressed the power button again, to send it into sleep. Then I woke it, and was instantly presented with the screen I expected.

At 04/08/2015 09:31, you wrote:
Bill Troop wrote:
Basically, a crash a week in 7, a crash every six months in 8.1

> I am sure it is a good idea to do a clean install every six months or so, but I can never bear to do it.

That should not be. I have never had a crash, at least I do not remember one. Applications may crash, but not the operating system. As a general rule, one should remove applications that cause problems, and be picky when choosing what to install in the first place. I have not reinstalled the operating system as of yet.