Re: Change Invisibles: migrating from Xy 3.55 to 4.017

Carl Distefano writes> Why "inelegant"? You can't very well use a CI
command to delete
footnotes of indeterminate length. Your BD procedure makes sense to
me.

Well, thanks, Carl. I suppose I was being a bit diffident. But my sense of
the routine's inelegance was, in part, closely related to what you point to:
the need to switch constantly between normal and expanded display (and the
overhead that imposes). It felt like a kludge, so I'm delighted to learn
that Xy4 offers a way out:

Carl Distefano writes> Port your routine to Xy4 and you won't have to toggle
the display at
all! SE |< Func CS means "Clear ScrollLock"; the effect is to
disable an
antiquated feature that should have been abolished years ago. Use
PFUN xx to embed functions.

BTW, the strip footnote routine I've been using (Xy3) goes as follows:

TF CM BC se fn1[LBA]XC [IF[ER]][GLB][EI]CM RC CR CM [GLA][LBB]CM

Guess it wasn't BD after all (sorry!), since once I reverted to normal mode
my cursor rested right on the footnote I wanted to delete (hence RC, rubout
cursor).

Peter Brown
pbrown@xxxxxxxx