Re: Xy'd NB -- FLV Video Capture and Player

As a Firefox user, I'm using their Download Helper extension, 3.0.1,
which works well with YouTube and a load of other sites, most of which
no-one would want.

Robert's FLV player works beautifully.

Robert Holmgren wrote:
** Reply to message from J R FOX on Tue, 4 Mar 2008 09:39:19 -0800 (PST)
Unless I am missing something (in the early going), the "FLV grab" function of the full version seems to be site specific.
Correct. YouTube only. And only because they go to such lengths to encrypt/hide the actual download URL. A very good generic app for grabbing any video URL is the packet sniffer "URLSnooper" (which is a hassle to get hold of -- they give you a 6-month license, then another 6-month license, then after one full year an unlimited license -- but it's worth the trouble: http://www.donationcoder.com/index.php Another route, if you use Firefox, is to view the "generated" source code: most sites reveal the actual URL to the Flash Video (FLV) file (but not YouTube!).
That is no big deal, because Youtube is the 800 pound gorilla these days, and so much of that content is naturally going to flow there.
I think that's basically accurate. Most of the stuff I see on other sites, like Yahoo, seems to be available also on YouTube. YouTube has amazing content (amid a lot of trash, to be sure). If you want to see why musicians were knocked out by Callas singing Kundry (Wagner/Parsifal) when _she_ was a 200 pound gorilla (pre-1950 weight loss), YT is the place to go. The problem is, clips come and go unpredictably. Some stick for a year or more, others disappear very quickly. If you see something, grab it. Some of Ernie Kovacs' "Dutch Masters" cigar commercials, for example. ----------------------------- Robert Holmgren holmgren@xxxxxxxx -----------------------------