Cut and paste - Xy2Win another way

The quickest way to cut and paste a screen of XyWrite Dos text into a
Windows application is to hit the PrintScreen key in XyWrite which (unless
you've customised it) will put all the text on the screen into the clipboard. In
my case I use Win98 and assume the same is true of newer versions.

You can then paste the text into any Windows application where you then
simply delete the XyWrite command line and ruler text at the top of the
pasted text.

The above is quicker than hitting Alt+SpaceBar and then choosing
Properties, Screen, Window, Mark, Select text, Copy etc, etc.

Both methods, however, convert XyWrite formatting triangles as well as Tab
arrows to hollow boxes in the Windows Application.

The above came back to me last week when my head of department came
to me with an important document in WordPerfect 6.1 that had been
corrupted. He said the University's Computer Services Department had told
him it was impossible to recover.

As we all know, nothing is impossible and they probably couldn't be
bothered. None of the obvious, like importing into other Windows word
processors, worked. So the first step to recovery was to go back to Dos.
>From past experience, I fired up Norton Commander 5 and found I was able
to view the "unrecoverable" file in all its glory whereas none of the Windows
file viewers had been able to do this. However, all my trusty Prn2File LPT1
capture software was on my ancient Win3.1 machine at home so in the
recesses of my mind I remembered the PrintScreen option. Fortunately,
the recovery wasn't urgent so I didn't have to cut and past 187screens-full of
text and merely printed it to file that evening.

Hope the spin-off is useful to somebody.

By the way, there is a PC Magazine utility from 1993 called DOSCLIP that
creates a cut and paste capability in Dos programs. It is also Windows
aware and does work in conjunction with the Windows clipboard.

Since last week, I am now constantly using Judith's Win2Xy copy and
paste technique of right clicking on the Xy icon in the Windows taskbar.
Many thanks.

Regards
Jon Inggs
Try the Economic History Society of Southern Africa
WWW site at: http://home.intekom.co.za/joni/ehsoc.htm

Browse the Inggs family tree at:
http://home.intekom.co.za/joni/

Jon Inggs        e-Mail: inggsej@xxxxxxxx