From: mailto:billtroop@xxxxxxxxBill Troop
Subject: Re: OT: Books on writing?

For once I disagree with Patricia. Writing has to happen as uncritically, as quickly, as freely as possible. Editing should be a secondary step. I have seen with myself and with others how engaging the critical gear inevitably slows the writing process down to a snail's pace, and doesn't, for all that, result in better prose but only more stilted, lifeless prose. I really do think that creation and revision are separate processes. Maybe it worked for Sayers, but I have a feeling it's more likely that she only wished it did. I love the idea of turning off the screen -- I have used that in teaching a very gifted writer to type, but it had not occurred to me to apply it to actual writing.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.