Re: Staying with XP after April 8 2014 (was Win 7 vs Win 8)

Reply to note from Bill Troop  Tue, 11 Mar 2014
12:14:50 +0000

> I think for most of us, having an indexing utility for
> filenames is good enough; usually, for finding content, a non-
> indexing utility is good enough.

True on both counts, Bill. With regard to the latter, if FINDSTR.EXE
is still part of later versions of Windows (I am still happily
wearing animal skins and carrying a club in the Paleolithic Age of
XP), I think you'll find it's more than good enough (to wit,
thorough and damn fast). The easiest way to find out if it's there
is to command FINDSTR /? at the command prompt. If it is, you'll see
that it has a host of options. (The U2 frame picks and chooses among
them, but it works for me.)

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx