Re: Staying with XP after April 8 2014 (was Win 7 vs Win 8)

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Tue, 11 Mar
2014 20:28:24 -0400

Harry:

> I also use Locate32. I like it at times, but am not as keen on
> it as Carl. Some of the options controlling the search and the
> search results are a little baffling.

There are, indeed, many options -- I've pasted in the help screen
for LOCATE.EXE below, in case anyone is interested. (The ability to
formulate filespecs using RegExes is particularly powerful.) But I
find that, 99.99% of the time, LOCATE [fragment_of_filename] is all
I need.

---
locate 3.1 RC3m build 10.8220

usage: locate [-s] [-p path] [-t type] [-d dbfile] [-r] [-D dbname]
[-h] file

parameters:
  -s     pause after page
  -i     shows what are we looking for
  --			terminate parameter list
  -p     look in directory 'path'
  -r     'file' is interpreted as regular expression
  -rc     'file' is interpreted as regular expression (case
sensitive)
  -w     use whole path, not just file name
  -t     set extension
  -R     search subdirectories
  -Rn     don't search subdirectories
  -+			allow logical operators + and - (if you want to use -, use
-- argument)
  -+n			do not allow logical operators + and -
  -d file   set database file
  -D name   uses database named 'name'
  -lm:SIZE  set minimum size to SIZE, eg -lms:100k
  -lM:SIZE  set maximum size to SIZE, eg -lMs:10M
  -lDmDAY 	set minimum file modification date, day can be exact
date in the
		form of YYMMDD, or number (0 is today, 1 is yesterday, etc)
  -lDcDAY 	set minimum file creation date
  -lDaDAY 	set minimum file last access date
  -lDMDAY 	set maximum file modification date
  -lDCDAY 	set maximum file creation date
  -lDADAY	set maximum file last access date
  -ln:NUM   set number of maximum found files
  -lf     look only file names (default)
  -ld     look only directory names
  -lfd    look file and directory names
  -lw     match whole name only
  -lrn    don't replace spaces with asterisk
  -lc:TEXT  file must contain string TEXT
  -lcm    string text is match case (default)
  -lcn    string text is not match case
  -lR:TEXT  same as above but TEXT is regular expression
  -v     verbose mode, information about search
  -X:CUSTOM  use different settings branch (see locate.ini file)
  -h     help, this screen

---

--
Carl Distefano