Re: LFNs in vDosPlus

Hi Harry,

Like all other DOS platforms with LFN support, vDosPlus provides two set of DOS calls to do file-handling, one of them only supporting 8.3 names for compatibility purposes, and the other set supporting LFNs. XyWrite by itself only supported the former set of DOS calls, so there is no way for it to support LFNs directly. U2 on the other hand, makes use of the latter set of DOS calls, so that it is able to deal with LFNs directly in vDosPlus. In general, software that only supports the former set of DOS calls can only handle 8.3 names, and any software that makes use of the latter set of DOS calls can support LFNs (in addition to 8.3 names). Hope this clarifies things.

Wengier