Re: A Real puzzler

Rober --
Thank you very much for that. I'll take your advice with XY4--which I do have. I'd thought XY4 would baulk at the older margin commands, but if it doesn.t it would certainly simply things to switch completely to it.

Robert Holmgren wrote:
** Reply to message from Frank Brownlow
on Sat, 14 Jul 2007 11:13:32 -0400

Frank:

All of the items you mention should work with Xy4 v4.018 -- I
very much doubt that anything you have is Sig-specific. Xy4
certainly understands LM/RM; you aren't required to migrate to
the OF page description model. I can't think why the printer
driver would not also work. Have you tried these things with
v4.018? The difference between Sig and Xy4 v4.018 is hundreds
of bug fixes and refinements. But importantly, I can't remember
anything that was *subtracted* from the product. Those of us
who followed the evolution of Xy4 closely as it occurred feel
that these improvements are very significant. In many cases, we
identified the bugs and lobbied for the improvements. I would
install v4.018 in a different directory, copy all your text
files and PRN files etc etc over to the new directory, and see
if it works.
I was delighted with Signature when it first appeared,
and it's always worked well, so that I've had no reason
to change all my LM commands to OF in a considerable
archive of texts, although I have Xy4 in the final
version, too. That's why I've been curious about U2
& Signature. Another reason I stay with Signature
that Xyquest made a Signature printer file for me
that does footnote numbers exactly as I want them.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx