Re: Binary vs. text

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Sat, 14 Jul
2007 13:02:07 -0400

Harry:

> But even getting around the Ascii-26 problem, my testing showed
> that SAving takes out the 00s.

You're right. There was a mistake in my reply to Flash. The first
instance of 26 (1Ah) in DICT.SPL is byte number 85 in the file, not
66; there are 19 preceding 00's that XyWrite strips out. When the
file is CAlled in XyWrite, 1A *appears* to be byte number 66 (85
minus 19), and when you SAve it as DICT.TST (the throwaway TeST
file) the file size in the DIRectory listing is 67 bytes (66 plus 1
byte for the end-of-file 1A that Xy tacks on when it SAves).

But, of course, I knew this all the time and "Q.E.D." in my previous
post really stood for Quick Error Detection -- I just wanted to see
if anyone would pick up on it. Congratulations, Harry, the door
prize goes to you!

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx