Re: [Off Topic] Windows Genuine Advantage

--- "Patricia M. Godfrey"  wrote:

> Not in this neck of the woods. I've gotten regular
> OEM
> copies (that's how I get all my opsys, and most of
> my
> software--WordPerfect and Lotus Millennium suites
> are
> frequent items, at ludicrously low prices), but I've
>
> never seen what you're describing.

Hi Patricia,

My first reaction was surprise -- I mean, NYC is such
a major market, how could you not have something
equivalent ? (The major show I'm referring to here
can be found at lacomputerfair.com  Pomona is an
outlying area, about a 45 minute freeway drive for me.
 I think they've been operating close to 20 years now.
 There have been a couple of other local shows, which
attempted to compete with this one, though they are
not nearly as large or as frequent.) However, I do
note that LACF have cut back their regular schedule by
about 1/3. Until about a year ago, they used to run
about every 3 weeks, over both Sat. & Sun. Now it is
less often, and usually just the Saturday. They also
held smaller branches in 3 or 4 satellite locations,
including San Diego and Santa Barbara. It looks like
Costa Mesa is their only alternate venue that is still
running. What this says about the market, I'm not
sure. Maybe there is now a lot more online
competition for what they do. (Brick & mortar stores
would not be able to touch their prices.) Still,
there is something to be said for being able to
inspect the goods in person, even when you are
scooping up assorted system components on the cheap.

Jordan