RE: Search/Replace Func Characters

Brian H. writes:
> Patricia, when it comes right down to it, I love writing XPL programs too
> much to want a package with everything already done for me. In fact, every
> time I see a mention of one of U2's features that sounds interesting, I
> write it for myself.

In Xy3-compatible XPL, I presume, since v3.55 is your main WP? If so, you'd do
a real public service to write v3.55+ counterparts of our XPL ENCODE and DECODE
frames, so that v3 users could send and receive inline XPL code without taking
the trouble to fire up Xy4 or XyWin. The ability to include XPL in the body of
an e-mail message is no mere luxury, given that many mail servers nowadays
automatically bounce mail-list messages when the server detects an "executable"
attachment. I see that more and more in the error advisories I receive from the
list processor.

To be useful, your routine would have to provide 100%, across-the-board
compatibility with our U2 plain-text encoding scheme (in other words, produce
encoded output identical to what's produced by the U2 ENCODE routine and,
obviously, perform error-free decoding); that would be essential. I'd really
encourage you to pursue that, Brian; shouldn't be too hard -- actually it'd be a
lot of fun, wouldn't you agree?

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx