Re: printer error messages

Robert Holmgren wrote:

What shape does this conniption take? I've never seen that...
and I share all my drives "whole", under W2K. No protest signs
at all.

I'm reconstructing from memory, since the W2K box is at the
office, but IIRC, when I first went to declare it shared, up
popped a message to the effect, "This is not a good idea. Are you
sure that's what you want to do?" Then, if I'm lazy enough to try
and access that shared drive from another box on the network (on
which the drive is not mapped to a drive letter; if it's mapped,
no problem), it insists on offering the Administrative share ($e,
not plain e:, shared as Mercydat), for which the password has
been assigned by Windows--and I therefore don't know it and
cannot enter it. Of course, by using Net Use I avoid all this
hassle, and I now have a batchfile to do that on the system from
which I occasionally want to access that drive (but don't want
other users to do so, so I don't map it).

No doubt you don't run into the problem, because you never lost
the (Very Good) habit of doing everything one can from the
command line. I got lazy over the years. Serves me right when I
fall foul of the GUI's Big Brotherly ways.

>> Be particularly alert to the "Return-Path:" line -- it
>> generally tells the truth, no matter who or what an email
>> pretends to be.
That was what made me wonder if the UPenn server had blocked a couple of my posts recently (I got a MailerDaemon message that one of them couldn't be delivered, and none of them showed up on the list). I had sent them from my laptop over at the office, using (testing) the office's new DSL hookup, to which my laptop wad networked. So the return path would have showed verizon.net before eskimo.com.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx