Re: Translating XyWin to Word or WordStar

Hi, Rene. Thanks for your response.

> Michael:
> >Unforatunately, if what a friend who uses WinWord 6.0 at work told
> >me when I called her yesterday is correct, WinWord doesn't
> >have a XyWrite import filter.
>
> No, it doesn't, but what was meant, I believe, was that you "save as"
> Word Windoze 2 from XYwrite and *then* open the file in Word to fix
> up minor conversion bloopers.

Unfortunately, the "extra space" problem in the Word 2.0 filter goes
way beyond minor conversion bloopers--it would be a huge time
investment to remove a couple of dozen of them from each of 680
pages. I can't ask that of my collaborator or my agent.

> By the way, what is wrong with saving as RTF? This works basically
> fine for me. Word reads RTF files fine, except for some problems with
> tables, footnotes, and the like, again something you can fix up within
> Word. I wouldn't dream of actually working in Word, but as a utility
> to fix up files, I find it useful.

I've never tried RTF; perhaps I should. (I've been trying to find a
solution which only requires a single translation, and which allows
me to turn the files over in an immediately usable form.)

Best,

   K-Mac

  ---] Michael Paul McDowell, writing as Michael P. Kube-McDowell
  ---] Author of THE QUIET POOLS and STAR WARS: THE BLACK FLEET CRISIS
  ---] Web Site: http://www.sff.net/people/K-Mac
  ---] Newsgroup: sff.people.Kube-McDowell at server NEWS.SFF.NET