Re: Translating XyWin to Word or WordStar

Michael P. Kube-McDowell wrote:

> Help!
>
> I've just finished another manuscript (a whopper--680 pages) using
> XyWin 4.11, and am now facing the same old same old, two
> years further into obsolescence oblivion--namely, problems with
> exporting the files to a word processor used by someone other than
> the stalwart members of this list.
>
> In particular, it's highly desirable that I be able to export to
> MS Word format for my agent and/or WordStar for my
> collaborator. (My publisher's typesetting bureau can still cope with
> XyWrite files, which is a blessing.)

Dear Michael,
  Why not simply send them XyWrite files? They are, after all, mostly
plain text that any word processor can read. If the recipients do not
like the funny looking XyWrite stuff, tell them to use their own find
and replace routines. But do insist that they send files back to you as
plain text. I am assuming that you have produced a manuscript with
minimal formatting (still preferred by publisher's anyway). But even if
you insist on translating files for other people to use, simply use an
older version of the target format. MSWord version 2 (aka version 6?)
can be read by all later versions, as I recall. Same goes for
WordStar. Just use the older versions. Unless you are collaborating on
a virtually finished version that is camera ready, why worry about
desktop publishing features in a manuscript anyway? Though I have been
asked repeatedly by editors and publishers to provide text in a
particular format, I have rarely complied; yet, they somehow managed to
be able to use my XyWrite (well, actually NotaBene) files just fine.
Remember plain text can be read by everyone. Let someone else worry
about what it looks like on the page, especially when dealing with a 680
page manuscript.
Good luck,
Bill
--