DW function

Here's a couple questions for the Xy4 Wizards:

In Xy3 the DW (define word) function would highlight a word AND the
character following it--no matter what that character was. But in Xy4
there seems to be some additional processing going on--somebody or
something has decided that I don't want to highlight the character
following if it's terminal punctuation (. ! or ?) or a hard return. Thus,
my oft-used little Xy3 hotkey programs for italicizing a single word
(plus certain surrounding punctuation, per *CMS*) but not the space no
longer work the want I want them to.

Is there a way to turn off (or otherwise limit) this "feature"?

Secondly, Xy3 treats a hyphenated word as a single word; Xy4 treats it as
two words, treating the hyphen the same as it would a space. Again, is
there a way to tell Xy4 to treat the hyphen as a regular alpha character?
Or some other workaround?

Mange Tak.

Timothy Olson
Editorial/Technical Assistant