Re: file searching

Bill Troop wrote:
The problem comes now, all these years and GB of data later, when I need
to be able to search these files.
None of the file indexing solutions (Spotlight on Mac, Windows search,
Google) seems to be able to deal with files with unknown or improper
extensions.
Unless these files are scattered all over C: (a bad idea), or are in other formats (but I'm assuming you mean Xy data files), why not either Xy's native SEarch command or--much, much better--the UE SE and SSE commands? SSE sometimes locked up under 98 when searching a really large directory with lots of subdirs, but hasn't so far (knock wood) under Vista.
Recall too what I proved here a while back: the NT (W2K, XP,
Vista) Search routine simply does NOT find all the files that
match the spec, whereas 9x's Find did. It also, IMO, had a much
better UI: I detest having to scroll right and left, but at the
res and font size I have to run at, everything doesn't fit on the
Search screen. In 9x's Find, you entered your specs on top, and
got your results below. Much more sensible.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx