Re: xy/dos/win/ascii

Bill Troop:

>Two questions:
>
>What is XyWrite doing here? Is it some kind of standard DOS handling of
>upper ascii, or is it XyWrite's own thing?

XY lives in ASCII, Windoze in ANSI. Simply a question of shifting a
few definitions around.

>Is there a VERY SIMPLE filter I can use to switch back and forth between
>these two encoding? I mean without going into WordforWord ? Isn't there
>some 4 or 5 K program that will deal with this?

A simple search-and-replace macro won't even take 1K. Here is one that
contains the German and some mathematical characters; appending it with
other accents should not take more than a couple of minutes.

cia =Æ='=
cia ==Ü=
cia ==Ä=
cia ==Ö=
cia ==ä=
cia ==ü=
cia =÷=ö=
cia ==ß=
cia =°==
cia ==Å=
cia ==å=
cia ==Æ=
cia =µ=æ=
cia ==ë=
cia ==ï=
cia ==±=
cia =ô="=
cia ==|=
cia =û==
cia ==°=
cia ==µ=
cia =='=
cia ==é=

-- Rene v. Rentzell, Tokyo
-- "A world in which it is wrong to murder an individual civilian
-- and right to drop high explosive on a residential area does make me
-- wonder whether this Earth of ours is not a loony bin made use of
-- by some other planet." George Orwell