Re: xy/dos/win/ascii

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Leslie Bialler wrote:

> Bill Troop wrote:
> >
> > can someone tell me what to do about upper ascii characters in standard Win
> > files and XyWrite? For instance, suppose I type something in German or
> > French in Notepad/Win. Later, I open that file in XyWrite 4. All the upper
> > ascii characters are wrong.
> >

> That's because Windows uses ANSI, not ASCII--except for XyWin, which
> does use ASCII.
>

> > Is there a VERY SIMPLE filter I can use to switch back and forth between
> > these two encoding? I mean without going into WordforWord ? Isn't there
> > some 4 or 5 K program that will deal with this? Or perhaps it's built into
> > xywwweb, which I haven't really figured out how to use yet? Thanks.

Word4Word filters include among the many flavors of ASCII:

	ASCII (plain), MAC
	ASCII (plain), PC
	ASCII (plain), UNIX
	ASCII (plain), Windows

If you have the latest Ascii filter from the Hungarian site, you should
be able to Import the Windows file into Xy as Ascii/windows and get the
appropriate characters for Ascii/PC. You may also be able to use
Holmgren's instructions for running the .exe files directly from the dos
command line, but I'm not sure what the syntax would be for going
between the two flavors.

	Dorothy

*****
Dorothy Day
Indiana University
day@xxxxxxxx
*****
	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."