Re: Off topic: CD-R backup

Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

> Yes, well, backing up one's whole system would be lovely, but as far as I
> can see, Windoesn't won't let you. Oh, one can create a compressed
> specialized backup file, but one would have to be running Windows to
> restore it, no? But actually copying C: in toto? You cannot do it from
> within Win, because some of the files are "in use."

I have no problems doing disk backups under Win 98se - provided I turn
the antivirus program completely off beforehand. I've been doing it for
years - and booting from the backup disks.

I use a Windows program (CopyTo) to do the bulk of the work then get
xcopy to backup the \windows folder: it picks up the half dozen files
CopyTo hasn't done.

It's not the files-in-use which cause the problems, it's the special
files which things like antivirus programs load very early on in the
boot process. If an antivirus program isn't firmly disactivated before
and during the backup, if one later tries to boot from the backup disk
one can't - Windoesn't tries to load a file which hasn't been copied to
the disk and comes to a very firm halt ...

John