Re: Ctrl-Z in messages [was; Re: one click away]

** Reply to note from Carl Distefano Fri, 9 Jun 2000 04:06:36 +0000

> Without minimizing the usefulness of DEL26, I think that Dorothy's
> point -- that EOFs shouldn't be there in the first place -- bears
> repeating.

Quite so. But "sh*t happens", as they say where I come from, despite the best of
intentions, and it's nice to have a fix. Netscape's mailer is also Ascii-26
blind, I think, and furthermore *every* character that doesn't convert
ASCII==>ANSI appears as that little box; it's pretty easy to overlook one or more
of them in the course of responding to millions of messages/day. I suspect that
this will continue to happen from time to time, because XyWrite is always going
to append Ascii-26, and increasingly external programs don't respect it as EOF --
they obey the actual file size. They're not wrong.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx