Re: NB 8 (Trial version)

On May 8, at 5:30 PM, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
Robert Holmgren wrote:
Replying to Bill TeBrake, who had written
Indeed, I often wish there were no electronic spellers at all.
I agree. They're worthless, and people should just learn how to spell. It's
part of being civilized.
On the whole, yes. One may have a personal blank spot, where a
spell checker can be useful (e.g., in my case, words in -ant or -
ent, -annce or -ence: I know the Latin roots, but some came into
English by way of Norman French, and suffered change of the final
vowel, so I'm glad to have those checked by an algorithm and save
me the trouble of looking them up). But all too often unless I stop
and customize, half the words I want to use are ones the
spellchecker never heard of. (Some of the suggested substitutions
can be hilarious: lenitive for genitive, say. [Well, well: Tbird
knows genitive!])
I forbear (or, as my students might have it: forebare) from those
student examples of spelling and syntax that enliven these grading
(grating) days. I will mention my favorite early (circa 1981)
spelling suggestion: I typed Rockefeller, it offered racketeer.

David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
Box 8103
Raleigh, NC 27695-8103 http:// slowfoodusa.org auerbach@xxxxxxxx http:// slowfoodtriangle.org