NB 8 vs. Tame

I now have implemented and adjusted Tame 5.1 for XyWrite and, even though
there are a couple of further adjustments to be made, I'm VERY HAPPY with
the results.
In contrast to what Robert wrote about the fragility of NB 8, Tame-XyWrite
is just XyWrite with the only thing I really wanted to add to it: a much
better looking screen.
Tame gives you full Windows fonts for Xy use. With full Windows colors. And
"style" attributes--i.e., see italics as italic, bold as bold, superscript
as superscript, underlined text underlined. And you don't need any
"graphics view" to do that--it's just WG mode. Actually, I haven't gotten
graphics mode working in Tame-Xy.
The cursor movement is much better--faster and smoother--in Tame-Xy than in
Xy4 under XP.
Tame-Xy isn't rock solid yet. And XPL programs run at maybe 75% of normal
speed.
The color can be easily set for each different MD=NN numbers. All you do is
put your Windows cursor on the Xy text that has the mode you want to
change, then right click. A Windows dialogue box comes up . Pick "Color
change" and then the familiar Windows color palette dialog box appears, and
you can set the exact color, out of 24 million, that you want for that MoDe.
I wanted to attach some screen shots, but having Tame-Xy running messes up
the PrintScreen key so that I can't do that. Also, the BK (break) function
that is by default loaded onto Ctrl-ESC functions as a Windows key shortcut
to the Start menu under Xy-Tame, but I just loaded BK onto Ctrl-1 and that
worked. David Thomas says he will fix Ctrl-ESC in a future revision, but
this isn't really necessary.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx