RE: Associating file extensions w. XyWIN

Dorothy,

Thanks for the tip. Actually, your method is but another way of doing what I've
already done. When you select a file in file manager and pull down the
File-associate dialog box via the menu, what you are doing is adding a line to
the win.ini file. (much as changing defaults in NB/XY via the menu adds or
alters lines in the nbcustom.set or whatever the xw equivalent is).

As I meant to indicate, this works, but only to a point. The problems 1)
default xwstart.int file. As it loads I get a "Can't recognize logon" error
message, and I have to type "logon allan" on the command line.

2) Once this is done, xywin continues to load all of the things called for in
the xwstart.int file. But it does not open the file I've clicked on
automatically. I have to open that file just as I would if I had started xywin
from program manager all by itself.

There is a syntax listed in the network section of the Xywin manual for
designating a customized startup file, and I think this may hold the solution,
but I still need help.

X:?pathÙxw.exe ,X:?pathÙstartfile.int

will apparently force xywin to use as its startup file the file called
startfile.int. The questions are: 1) will this work from the file manager, 2)
what should startfile.int have in it to get it to automatically logon and to
open the file selected in file manager?

Why do I suspect that this will be no more clear than the last query?

Allan Needell, Dept. of Space History, Nat'l Air & Space Museum
   Smithsonian Institution, MRC 311, Washington, DC 20560 i:
nassh100@xxxxxxxx; b: nassh100@sivm; CServe: 71461,1115
      tel 202/357-2828; fax 202/786-2947