Re: Where do I find XYLNS.ZIP?; dictionaries

Harmon is right. I write my messages one at a time using XY and
upload them into the message file at the University just before I
send it. The keyboard assignments and macros in XPLNS definitely
reflect my idiosyncratic tastes and primitive working habits,
unlike Carl diStefano's SMARTSET, which is planned for a wider
user community than
1 person.

I just downloaded from Simtel/mddos/fileutil a nifty viewer
called view97a.zip. I have been using Buerg's LIST to browse
files, but that didn't work with WPW6.1 files (I am forced to use
it to prepare files containing Chinese along with English). VIEW
works fine with most binary word processor formats, not to
mention XY. I mention it here because, while you are viewing
such a file (or from the command line, if you prefer), you can
"print" it out as an ASCII or ANSI file with hard carriage
returns. In other words, you can produce e-mail files from most
word processors in one step.

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania