Margins

David, Thanks very much. Yes, the block define works with IP. If the previous
IP triangle has values in all three positions, IP will restore all three. IP
has to have all three for the third to be restored correctly.

I'd only used the block define with NB/BB. Forgot how useful it can be.

But I can find no way to _lengthen_ a line temporarily with the standard
default settings of OF=10,10DI and RM=110. IP can only shorten it. It doesn't
take negative or positive values, as RM and LM do.

I'd decided, anyhow, to keep the standard values in settings.dfl and--when I
want to manipulate line endings, which only happens now and then--enter
settings in the file. I could do it and use IP by entering
with an RM setting that's 6 higher than I want. The  with a defined
block will lengthen the block and then restore the line length with the
previous IP values. But I would need to revise my six IP formatting
triangles--for paras, block quotes, paras in block quotes, hang indents, verse,
and flush left--and make two sets, one with a third value of 6, the other with
a third value of 0. Since the triangles are on sgt keys that's a nuisance. It
will be simpler to enter  in the file and use plus and minus RM
values. That way I need only one set of sgt IPs.

I can use OF=10,0; IP=0,0,6; and RM=71 in settings.dfl but then I get that
darned error message every time I print out a letter, etc., which is a
vexation. And OF=10,0 would no doubt lead to difficulties with old files and
other difficulties I can't anticipate.

If IP could take negative (and positive) values in the third position, that
would do it. And if XyW didn't come up with that false error message when it
encounters an OF with 0 in the second position, it would be nice.

I have the feeling I may be missing something, still, and that there may be
another way to handle this. With Styles, perhaps.

(CSA+V, by the way, doesn't know about the third value for IP. VA /NV does.)

Many thanks for your help, which prodded me to work out what seems to be, for
now, the simplest and most stable solution.