Re: DOS app icons Under Vista (A Fix?)

I can do that, Patricia. You may recall that I struggled for a while getting XyWrite to run under DOSbox (another Dos emulation program), and I succeeded but the process was a bit laborious. Running it in Dosemu is simplicity itself. I'm doing this in Ubuntu Linux, which uses the Gnome desktop, but I would expect good results in any Linux environment that can run Dosemu.

I'll try to find time to write up a more comprehensive explanation, but essentially it's this:

Move all needed XyWrite files and subfolders into a dedicated directory in your "home folder"

Create a "launcher" for Dosemu on the desktop (this is what Windows calls a "shortcut").

Open the launcher's "properties" (right-click and select "Properties")

Modify the "Command" line therein by appending the path to XyWrite's Editor.exe ... or to a batch file, just as you might do in DOS ... for me, the command line looks something like this:
dosemu xy.bat

That batch file (which resides in the same directory as dosemu) then changes to the XyWrite directory, launches Editor.exe using any command arguments I've inserted, and causes the Dosemu window to close when I quit XyWrite.
>> Jeff, if you ever get the time, could you please post some tips
on getting Xy running on DOSemu under Linux? That's really the
way I WANT to go.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey <mailto:PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx

Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/index.htm?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000970!