Re: OSes [utterly Xy-irrelevant]

Nothing Wendell Cochran writes contradicts what I wrote. Yes, Windows
(any version) and Linux (any version) can coexist independently on the
same hard drive; yes, LILO can switch between the two. All I wanted to
say was that you'll have difficulty adding yet more OSes.

Perhaps I misread Jordan Fox's message, but I think he was saying that
it would be easy to add Linux and more Windozes to a system already
boasting four independent OSes. I didn't, and don't, think that this is
so. There is no one simple, soundbyte-expressible, limit, but there is a
limit of four partitions per hard drive, and this limit is likely to
prove a hurdle (or worse).

Jordan Fox:

> The per Hard Drive limit is 4 *Primary* Partitions

Yes, according to one understanding of the word "primary". You're
limited to four partitions. Microsoft lets one and only one of these
(the "extended DOS partition") be subdivided into logical drives. (I
don't claim to know what Linux et al. allow.) Anyway, don't think that,
with a single physical hard drive, you can have four "primary"
partitions *plus* an "extended" partition that's subdivided into logical
drives -- five partitions is one too many.

Peter "minimal quoting" Evans, wondering
whether it's right to post egregiously
Xy-irrelevant messages to this list, but
anyway trying to be concise about it;
mailto:peter@xxxxxxxx