Re: Double underline

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Michael H. Granof wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to double underline with an HP printer?

The following double-underline scheme will work in Xy3+ (3.55) and an HPIII
printer (using PCL5 printer control language). It may well work in other
versions with other printers, but this is all I have to work with.

I know this will send Xy4 into fits because of the additive mode scheme, and
absolute Y-movement of the cursor at each carriage return, but ...
(insert retro ranting as to superior flexibility of the "old" product.)

In the attribute section of your printer file insert the following table
(in each position requiring an ascii character I can't upload easily, I've i
nserted "[ascii-#]" or [esc] or [space]
- I mean for you to insert the ascii character or escape character or space
ndicated, not the brackets or the words) - Case of letters matters.
;
AT:D-UL
AT#[acii-8][esc]*p+15Y[esc]*c40a9b0P[esc]*p+3Y[esc]*c40a3b1P[esc]*p-18Y[space]
ET
;
now define some PT table where you want the double underline to take effect: eg.

PT=2
MD NM+12TR-10U
MD BO+12TRB-10U
MD UL+12TR-10U+UL
MD RV+CO+FM
MD BU+12TRB-10U+UL
MD BR+12TRI-10U
MD SU+10TR-10U+SUP
MD SD+10TR-10U+SUB
MD 10+12TR-10U+D-UL

save and load the printer file
use the Blah blah blah and you're in business.

here's what you're actually doing to each character in the string when MD10 (or
whatever is in effect):

backspace 1 character
drop the cursor down 15 dots (1 dot = 1/300th of an inch)
draw a black rectangle 40 dots wide and 9 dots high
move the cursor 3 dots down from the starting position
draw a white rectange 40 dots wide by 3 dots high (thru the middle of the black rect.)
move the cursor back up to where you found it
space over for the next character

all that just to add a few little lines. - But since you may want to "refine"
the placement and/or thickness of the underscore character, you'll know
where to make your modifications.

Lastly: - since I wanted the underscore characters to lie below any character
descenders I invaded the area where the next line will print in single
spacing.

If you use the defined attribute "as is", you'll want to increase line
spacing in the document.

Hope you find this useful.

Solla
d012362c@xxxxxxxx