keyboard key assignment in Linux

I have recently made a further attempt to install Linux on my machine and have now succeeded in
running XY4 under the Linux DOS emulator DOSEMU. The result was relatively successful. One is
limited to a DOS box but there are none of the problems of uneven cursor movement found with the
Win2000 box. Extended memory is available provided one loads the DOSEMU correct manager which I
had to hunt down on the internet as it was only available on my installation in a disk image from
which I could not manage to extract it. (I am using Mandrake Linux 9 which does not come with
DOSEMU, though you can download the version from Mandrake 8. This works, but does take some
tinkering. There is no DOS font either and one needs to find a font called vga.pcf or for 1024x768
screens, one needs vga11x19.pcf, both of which can be found on the internet.)

I have found one problem, however. The keyboard key assignments under Linux appear to differ from
those normally expected. Though most of my keys function as expected, I find that with a UK
keyboard selected under Linux, my '#' key which is normally assigned to the  generates '3'
and the  appears where I expect to find '\'. Neither '\' nor '|' appears to be available,
or at least I cannot find them, and the numberpad behaves extremely irrationally. (Pressing a
numberpad key with Numlock off switches it on).

Clearly I need to reassign some of my keys, but I have no idea what Linux assigns to what. Does
anybody have any experience of this type of problem. I have searched, so far without success, for
enlightenment within the Linux community.

I believe I recall that Robert hinted, some months ago, that XYShell would work under Linux. How
would one go about configuring it, Robert?

Paul Breeze