Re: TAME without pain

Thanks, TAMErs.

But forget 6.0. It opens a new can of worms.

For one thing, I have to toggle NumLock myself to TAB through WordFinder. (I know i could add that
to Startup.int if that were the only problem.)

Another minor problem is that the settings in (Michael Norman's very workable version of xy.app.tam
for 5.1 must have a new syntax in 6.0. Every time TAME 6.0 opens it gives me a string of error
messages about Key Repeat, etc. I could set those in its new menus, but there's a worse problem:

Clip.exe

I never solved my Clip anomaly, which is that it pastes Windows text easily at the top of the file
but not after a certain number of characters. (256? I forget.) But the workaround is so easy it's
second nature by now: Press Scroll Lock, it asks Stop Program (Y/N)?, I hit Y and it's pasted.

Press Scroll Lock with TAME 6.0 and XY4 freezes completely. That's a deal-breaker, and not worth
entangling Robert or Carl in tweaking Clip since it works fine for everyone else.

Harry, 5.1pre9.exe is nowhere to be found at TAME or elsewhere. (The download version is 5.0.) Do
you have a copy?

Michael, it has been written that friends don't let friends install Vista. It's full of
resource-hogging eye candy and sneaky "security" features that make it balky or
incompatible with outboard devices like my particular necessity, portable media players. I often
read about how this or that daily Vista update knocks out yet another program or gizmo.

My littler Fujitsu, the U810 (also crashing with TAME), came with Vista Business loaded but XP
included on the set of Recovery disks. The Fujitsu boards unanimously recommended dumping Vista and
using XP. I ran into a Microsoft VP at a rock festival where I had the U810 slung over my shoulder,
and he shook his head in disbelief when I told him Fujitsu was loading Vista on an 800Mhz computer.
If it's bloatware at that speed, I would think it's bloatware at any speed.

Obviously I'm no computer expert, so I'd be curious whether the real programmers on the list have
any love for Vista.

Jon Pareles