Re: XYWRITE DEVEL

> I think you're confusing the DOS character mode (which is incredibly
> fast, since there's a hardware character generator in the video card) with
> the Windows character mode you can find in programs like Notepad. The
> Notepad mode is lots faster than any formatted Windows WP screen can be,
> but it's a lot slower than the hardware-generated DOS screen.
> Alan,

I bow to your superior knowledge of how windows 3.x generates screen fonts.
But my question still stands. Have you given xywin a test
drive?  Whatever is going on under the hood, in draft-edit mode,
xywin is indistinguishable (as far as speed is concerned) from
xydos. That is my experience, and I've heard no one comment any
differently.

The point was made here, and I agree, that even in "graphics"
mode, xywin is very fast. So fast that there is not really any
functional reason for me not to work in graphics mode all the
time. It takes a nanosecond or two longer to scroll or page
down (in draft edit-mode it goes in a blink) but, as Jack Shafer
asked of those who were put off by the time it takes to load
windows apps first thing in the morning, what would you do with
that time anyway. I need to get a cup of coffee in the morning.
And as far as scrolling in graphics mode, those nanoseconds
take a long time to add up to anything.

To sum up, even if the graphics slow down is unacceptable,
however windows manages to write to the screen in draft-edit
mode, I really doubt that any program can be functionally
faster.
Allan Needell--Internet: aneedell@xxxxxxxx; CCserve: 71461,1115