Re: How-To List (Properties Settings)

--- "Patricia M. Godfrey"  wrote:

> 2) The largest plain text file on my system is that
> humongous inbox
> file that Tbird creates: 15,553 K at present. So I
> just tried to open
> it in Xy. It opened, but I got that "Disk is full
> writing to overflow
> file; free up [sic] space on drive D:" message.
> Which is nonsense, of
> course: drive D: is 968 Mb, of which 768 Mb are
> free. One wonders if
> that error message is left over from the days of
> 360K, or at least 1.4
> Mb, floppies?

This must have been some kind of design choice on the
part of Messr.s Erickson & Hild. Are there not a
number of other editors and util.s (even LIST ?) that
can access gigantic files without choking ? I think
they do not attempt to "swallow" the entire file, but
just hold open a window onto the piece you happen to
be inspecting at the moment. No doubt each way has
its advantages and disadvantages. (Not that I could
tell you what they are.)

 Jordan