Re: Colour printing and more

>--Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo
who Support the anti-spam amendment;

had problems with color printing.

On a quite old PC, using Windows 3.11 and XyWrite for Dos version 4.014 and
printer driver HP DeskJet 560c loaded, printing colors via the menu system
poses no problem at all on a HP DeskJet 560C. According to (XyW) HELP the
Foreground Color menu options are dimmed if the printer does not support
colors; mine are naturally not dimmed.

I have used most versions of XyWrite since I started using XyW II back in
1985. The most stable version has been 4.017 on Windows 95; VERY stable
indeed, and works very well in concert with my many (Windows) programs for
copy/paste.

However, now I have a real problem with a brand new multimedia PC, Pentium
233 MHz and 64MB RAM with MS NT installed (NT alone uses more than 74 MB RAM
and have to restore to disk space to keep going!!). First, XyW (4.017) could
not be installed at all. Kind, and prompt (as always!) advice from George G.
Buschman, Technical Support, TGRP, pointed out that the CD ROM drive should
be deactivated. Next, I learned that NT uses its own DOS files; autoexec.NT
(for path statement), and likewise config.NT (for the FILES=>28 statement).
I have also controlled the statement in the PIP files; they DO use the two
NT DOS files mentioned above. But XyWrite is VERY unstable, freezes, and
cannot be used for ordinary work. Can anybody help solve the NT riddle?

Greetings from the outskirts of the world, latitude Bay of Alaska,

Einar Sudmann, M.D, Ph.D
University of Bergen, Norway
einar.sudmann@xxxxxxxx