Re: This time a real clip bug: it crashes...

Bob Zimmerman wrote:
(By the way, what is dict.hyp for?)
It's the file that tells XyWrite how to hyphenate words that don't fit
on a line. You only need it if you setting type fully justified (i.e.,
so that it hits the left and right margins--something pretty rare except
if you're actually setting type; e-mails and even most letters and lots
of documents nowadays are set "ragged right."
>Just to clarify, I am not using XyWin, but Xy4. I close it after each
>email because I always close programs down when I done using them.
>Otherwise, they clutter up my working space. I have been doing this
for >years with both Windows and DOS programs, and have never noticed
any >degradation of operation.<
Didn't think you were using Xywin; I just sometimes type the W out of
force of habit. Generally, closing down apps when you're finished with
them is good practice; Redmond Rubbish is NOT really a multitasking
opsys. But if one is writing and copying and pasting e-mails, it sounds
as if one is going to reopen it again right away, and then it's probably
better to leave it open.
Reviewing the thread, I see that early on Robert told you to MOVE
unicows.dll from Editor.exe's directory to c:\windows. You didn't, by a
slip of the mouse, just copy it, did you? Because two copies of it could
scramble things.
As for the rest, there is something really weird going on. Since I too
use Win 98 SE and run in Windowed mode, I thought testing here might
yeild some relevant data. So I tried CLIPping the two files that Bob
sent earlier, viz.:
PART1~1  2      431
PART1~1  3      135
The first did indeed cause CLIP to halt midway through with the "Illegal Operation...Kernel32.dll" message (Copying from Xy to Tbird). On the other hand, I was able to Clip and paste a file of 75445 bytes from Xy to Tbird with no problems, and that file was an amalgam of all the March posts so far; and in general, since the last update, I have not (knock wood!) experienced any problems with CLIP except when multi-byte or high-order characters are involved. So I'm inclined to think there's SOMETHING skew-whiff in that file. But WHAT I cannot imagine.
In attempting to track memory usage, I stumbled across something that
seems somewhat counter-intuitable. I commanded Table Variables, then
copied and pasted the memory-related ones (from VA $ME to VA -pw) to a
separate file. Performing various operations, including TYP, SAve, and
CLip, with that file up yielded results that seemed surprising to me,
though they're probably perfectly clear to the more knowledgeable. For
example, running TYP caused $ME to increase, but SAving a file after
making a change caused it to decrease. Running CLIP (copy to clipboard)
also caused an increase in $ME: was 341, clipped 115 bytes, $ME became
354. Granted, some of the contents of memory have been saved to a file,
clip.txt, but the data is still in RAM too, no? If someone could tell me
which of those various memory stats are the relevant ones, I could test
this and see what happens. Trying to track all of them is beyond the
capacity of my aged gray cells. Or is all of this totally irrelevant?

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx