Re: Lotus Magellan. Was: Zyindex ( non zywrite question)

Norman Bauman wrote
> I haven't used Lotus Magellan (yet; I just downloaded it from that IBM web
> site) so I can't compare them. I didn't realize Magellan had an indexed
> search.
>
> (You know what an index is, right? It's a big file that you create from
> your original text, and it lets you search your text much faster with
> pointers, rather than reading through every file like a XyWrite search.)

	The only external book, if you need paper, for Lotus Magellan
	was Dan Gookin's (of the PC for Dummies fame). There were/are
	manuals with the software in the three-part style of those antik
	days. Bill Gross worked on Magellan and the recent X1 search engine.
	One thing I did when using it was to rename the Unzip archive
	engine and put in a newer Unzip version to open other Zip files.
	The Zip compression engine didn't seem to be replaceable, but
	the small amount lost by creation of larger zip files isn't as
	important on today's larger hard drives.
	Features of Magellan file manager, indexer at:
	Linkname: Manage Your Files With Magellan

  Author  Gookin, Dan.
  Title   Working with Magellan / Dan Gookin.
  Published Blue Ridge Summit, PA : Windcrest, c1990.
  Edition  1st ed.
  ISBN   0830634614 :

	But there is quite a good Tour on one button of
	the Lotus Magellan. You could get the book through
	interlibrary loan from your local public library, though
	you hardly need it except for extra hints.
	Two copies on www.Abebooks.com at the moment.
	Written in the days of DOS 3.3 there are size issues
	in the Magellan coding, as I previously mentioned.
	It did have 'native' viewers for various DOS program
	formats of those days as Lotus 123 naturellement
	Dbase, Xywrite 3, WordPerfect etc.
	with extras from the ftp site that has been previously
	given. http://www2.support.lotus.com/ftp/pub/desktop/Magellan/2.x/misc

[and talking about Organizer, a filofax daybook lookalike,
					win3x/2.x/misc/      ]

enfish
X1
Wanyword   URL: http://home4.inet.tele.dk/jensguld/