xy windows

One of xy's few inconveniences, for me, has been the necessity, when
copying and pasting chunks of text from one xy window to another, to be in
adjacent windows (i.e., you can paste into a new window only if you've just
come from the window you're bringing text from). For whatever
reason--looking through the intervening directory, or whatever--I very
often end up at my destination window unable to dump the text I'd copied. I
have to then Ctr+F10 and get myself back in order.

I'm working in xy3+. Does xy4 have the same limitation? Any default
settings or easy work-arounds I ought to know about? I suppose I could
establish a combination of short programs and save/gets to accomplish the
kind of leap-frogging I'm talking about, but if a default can be tweaked to
accomplish the thing, that much the better.

Thanks.