Re: Icons in taskbar OT [TAME]

At 05:33 PM 12/23/2007, Harry Binswanger wrote:
I was truly dumbfounded to find that 6.0 put a file XyWrite.app.tam in the same folder as EDITOR.EXE (viz., in my case, C:\xy\). I only realized this when I got an error message, on launching Tame-Xy, about an invalid line in it. Am currently experimenting with Pre-6 (for 5.1) to see if eliminating that file in C:\xy\ stops the NTVDM crashes. So far, I have to choose between 5.1 Pre-6, which handles every keystroke beautifully but crashes NTVDM regularly, and 6.0 which doesn't crash but is unusable in regard to ctrl key, alt key, and has slow cursor key movement.
So 6.0 produces both XyWrite.app.tam. in the root XY4 directory and
tame.ini in \TAME 6.0\settings? That's like having two configuration
files. Have you compared the two? FAQ says, "Tame settings may be
customized for a specific application by creating a settings file
[Xywrite.app.tam] and either place it in the same folder as the
application, or place it in the Tame folder with a file named based
on the application." So XyWrite.app.tam file, apparently, can reside
in either location. And if Pre-6 is flaky with NTVDM, try Pre7, which
I can send you. (I have Pre7 working -- with a few artifacts -- on a
ThinkPad T41 and two Dell boxes.) I also noticed that TAME leave
NTVDM running after you exit XY. Does this whether you start both
TAME and XY from a .bat or from a discreet Autoexex.xx file invoked
in the .pif. Notabene also leaves NTVDM running after I quit. [XY
does not.] This is a bit of pain if you leave your computer on all
the time and invoke the standby option in power settings. When I wake
the machine up, I come back to a message that says the computer could
not shut NTVDM down. What all this adds up to is beyond me.
Michael Norman