Re: Icons in taskbar OT

Harry Binswanger wrote:
> Well, remember that someone here warned me that Leonovo ThinkPads have
some idiosyncratic drivers and such.
They certainly have a lot of add-ons. But then so does my Acer;
some of them are useful, some not, some positively pernicious.
(e.g., an applet called GridVista, supposed to facilitate using a
second monitor, but in fact slowing down response times and
causing text to randomly be "selected.")
In addition to slow and jerky cursor, I have the same problems I had
with pre-Tame Xy on the earlier (HP) system: 1. the cursor goes small
from time to time and can't be permanently set (in properties) to be
large,
On the Acer, the cursor virtually (to my poor vision) disappears
when positioned within a text block in a Windows app: it turns
into what I think is called an I-Beam on the Mac--a very thin
vertical line with two curved lines splaying out from the top and
bottom. Maddening. I'm learning to keep it outside text blocks
and then move ever so slightly right or left to get into them,
and from then on use the shift key to select and the cursor keys
to move.
 2. when you first type a letter, it sometimes begins by showing
up inside the cursor block, then a few milliseconds later, the cursor jumps past it to where it should be.
Nothing like that here, thank Heaven.
Maybe Vista has a different version of NTVDM.
I might think so, except that Wolfgang says he has no jerky cursor on his XP laptop, and others have reported the same. So I have to think there's a hardware or driver element to jerky cursor. And it's much WORSE on the office W2K box than on any three of the XP boxes, one of which is older, slower tech (less powerful CPU, less RAM, slower HD) than the W2K box.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx