Re: archiving

On 1 Oct 00, at 22:52, Carl Distefano wrote:

> Reply to note from jr_fox@xxxxxxxx Sun, 01 Oct 2000 17:32:32 -
> 0800
>
> -> In regard to transmitting a heavily formatted Xy-document
> -> intact, what I've said about archiving still holds. However,
> -> there is an alternate method of changing all the *live*
> -> guillemots (embedded formatting triangles) into ordinary,
> -> inactive, displayable chevrons at this end, and then using
> -> another Xy-routine at the other end to change them back. This
> -> would make the file transmittable as 100% pure-ASCII text.
>
> Actually, not. Because "inactive, displayable chevrons" in Xy are
> 3-byte characters, the first byte of which is Ascii-255, which, of
> course, has a significant 8th bit.

No, they are not 3-byte characters - those are the CR-LF characters, which
seem to work OK in Ascii anyway.

It is possible (though a bit timeconsuming) to creat a formatted XyWrite
document with COPY CON at the DOS prompt, or using any Ascii text editor.
It's no harder than using XyWrite to create an HTML formatted document from
scratch.

Keep well,

Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@xxxxxxxx