Re: Looking for XyWrite

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Russell Lewis wrote:

> --Rene von Rentzell writes:
>
> >>2.  How do you do a search-and-replace using wild-cards?
>
> >XY3 only allows searching, not replacing. XY4 has both. The key combinations
> >you can look up in the help file.
>
> Actually, in both versions the "CI" command does a search and replace. I
> don't know if XyWrite commands are supposed to mnemonic, but I suppose
> the "C" would stand for change (sort of like "CC" for Change Case.)
> Anyone know what the "I" stands for?

CI = Change Invisible.

CV = Change Visible -- that is, the program stops at every
appearance of the string to be replaces and asks if you want to
make the change, or not make the change, or quit that process, or
stop after making the change.

> You must use back-slashes as delimiters (like the Unix tool SED among
> others.) So the syntax is:
>
>   CI /old_text/new_text/

In XyWrite III + (and in earlier versions, as best I can
remember, you could use ANY mark of punctuation, so long as you
used the same one for the three markers: beginning, middle, and
end. Thus ?old_text?new_text? will work just as well as the
example above.

> Can anyone tell me if there are "switches" for this command? The
> default seems to be to replace every occurence of the found text.

Search (or se) will find the next occurrence of specified text:
SE \whatever\ without distinguising between upper case and lower.

Search Absolute (sea) takes case into account. sea ;What; will
look for What and ingore WHAT or what or wHaT.

Search backward (seb) will find the immediately previous
occurrence of specified text.

As explained above, there is cv, which asks for verification
before making each substitution. Also, cia takes case into
account, as does cva, when searching. The substituted string
always follows the case of the string on the command line.

George Scithers of owlswick@xxxxxxxx