Re: RE Spooling

At 1/31/2004 01:14 PM -0500, Patricia M Godfrey wrote:
Michael, how is the printer connected to the PC? Must be parallel port, if you're printing under 9x. Since you're having problems in Windows too, it occurs to me that it might be a good idea to check your parallel port settings, first in Control Panel, then in the BIOS Setup. You want either ECP or PPP, and experiment with bidirectional mode turned on and off and see what happens. What works in these cases is often pretty much by guess and by gosh. Patricia
Thanks, Patricia. That one setting in the dialogs worked. No need, at the moment, to change the bios settings. Turned bidirectional off and things improved considerably. Clearly faster, and, so far, no _hanging_ files in a print queue waiting for some mysterious moment to start printing. Anyone else in the same fix might begin with O'Reilly's _PC Hardware in A Nutshell_ , which has basic material on mapping Parallel Ports to LPTs. Another place to start is http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q191949, which talks about spool32.exe and its related problems (I'm on W98SE running an HP2200D). Michael Norman