RE: optimal settings (was - available memory)

--- Brian Henderson  wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: Caballero

> > I'm not at all certain that XyQuest or TTG ever
> offered optimal settings
> > for files and buffers. I looked through the
> documentation I have here and
 > didn't see reference to changing those settings,
> and I think I'd remember
> > such a basic piece of advice. However, maybe
> there was anecdotal or
> > individual advice about those settings that wasn't
> in the printed
> > documents. I'd be interested to hear from anyone
> who thinks so or comes
> > up with settings.
>

> And I was hoping for a list of optimal setting for
> the (incomplete) set of PIF, LNK, BAT, and NTVDM
> shortcut pages:
> http://www.xywrite.com/tips/pif.htm
>
> -BH

Brian,

We are quite possibly not talking about the same group
of recommended settings, but I'm sure that a set of OS
settings (for Win-32 and OS/2 | eCS) were posted to
the List a couple of times in the past. When I get a
chance, I will look for these, and pass them along.
XySearch is good, but in the last few years my
preferred practice is that if I see a post or thread
on a specific topic that I consider to be *key
reference*, I try to save it separately under a
descriptive name. (Standard practice -- not just for
Xy, and not just with items from this list.) If I
don't have time or remember to do this promptly, it
will probably fall through the cracks.

Anyway, I find that type of reference to be the most
useful to me. That is to say, readily findable after
the fact. It sounds like Patricia has been doing
something along these lines for quite some time. (I
usually trim such material down to remove any
redundancies, OT asides etc., and just get right to
the point.) I'm not sure if you are trying to arrange
something similar on the website, but that would be
good also, in a specifically reference section. It
would make a good adjunct to all the PDF work you've
been doing. It's kind of like 'You want to do XYZ,
here's a recipe.' Or, Problems with ___ ?
 Be sure to check these 6 items.'

Hopefully, it can help to cut down on some questions
that seem to come up again and again.

 Jordan