Re: Re OT Search terms

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Tue, 2 Dec
2003 19:13:41 -0500

> Perhaps I should not have used the term 'network,' because
> what we have at the office is NOT a network as you are describing one.
> But I don't know what else to call it.

It is most certainly a network. Called a Peer Network, or Peer-to-Peer. It
doesn't have an Internet server, only a networked printer. Otherwise, the
machines are all "peers". The protocol is probably IPX/SPX, which is NETBIOS
by another name and variant implementation.

So, umm, how do you connect to the Internet within this peer network, just out
of curiosity?

And, if you're in charge technically, how can "they" override your common sense
about AOL? The biggest single problem with AOL (if you could possibly single
out just one) is that they make it extremely difficult to divorce them and take
your assets, like your address book, away to a new home. I know a guy who runs
a really high level maillist, with about 22,000 addresses in his address book,
and he canNOT get the bloody thing out of the bowels of AOL's software. They
also used to disconnect you after 40 minutes of dial uptime, even in the middle
of a file transfer. Infantile, patronizing garbage.

Use Partition Magic, not FDISK. PM is fantastic, and does exactly what you
want when you're rearranging a big physical hard disk. FDISK is just a big
sledgehammer, no rearranging possible.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx